Tuesday, June 16, 2009

I Could Be Some One Else!

I attended a family function on the weekend. I don't have a particularly large extended family. No Grandparents to speak of. Of all the grandparents, I only knew one and for a very short time. Most Aunts and Uncles are gone, just a couple left. Of the small extended family, some are scattered in the States.

This particular family function included an Uncle and a cousin from the U.S. It was truly wonderful to see how peoples lives have changed, how they themselves have changed, physically and otherwise. It has to be almost 20 years since I've seen them. It was nice to catch up. It's funny how different people are, yet come from the same family lines.

My parents were both born in Canada. Most of my fathers family up and moved to California in the 50's & 60's. As the story goes, we were set to move to California as well. I would have been under 10 years old at that time.

A technicality stopped that transition from occurring.

So as we sat and chatted about the time they all moved South, I wondered....... 'how different would my life have been?'

I left that afternoon honestly intrigued.

My life, over a simple decision, would have been drastically different. I would have been different. I wonder if I would have looked different? Would I have been well off? Would I have been more successful? Maybe I would have married someone famous! Perhaps I would have been an actor! (OK maybe not). Would I speak differently? Would roof become ruff??.. and creek become crick? Would I never go OOWT, but rather go OAAUUUT? How would I wear my hair? How would I dress? I wonder if my life would have been easier or better.

Questions came flooding to me as I pondered how close I came to turning out completely different.

I wouldn't have been married to the man I married. Certainly I wouldn't have my wonderful children. It was then that it really hit me. These little people that I gave birth to and love and raised and know backwards and forwards wouldn't even be here!

So I chose to look at it this way;

I could have been a celebrity, married to a famous actor, lived in Beverly Hills, had houses scattered in different countries, been filthy rich, (this could be slight overkill), but I'm so glad none of that happened.

I have my kids. My wonderful, beautiful, lovable, funny, odd-ball, filled-to-the-brim-with personality, troublesome, wallet-emptying, drive-me-broke kids.

I wouldn't have it any other way!

(xoxox - love you Jessica and Nadia)


1 comment:

  1. There is only one you.

    Out of 6 billion people, there is only one model. Think about how unique you are.

    I think sometimes that it's possible there are infinite versions of ourselves in other universes, because we make infinite decisions in our lives.

    But that's from too much Star Trek haha.

    I'm personally thankful for technicalities because Canada is blessed for having you and your family here.

    The winters would be nicer for you though.

    Hope you are having a wonderful summer, gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete