Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Fur Face, aka Coco


Some time long ago when my children were young they summoned for a pet, (as most children do).

I accepted the challenge but on a 'let's start small' kinda deal.

We started with gold fish. Isn't that where everyone starts? I must say, our first couple lasted a few months, the second round didn't fare as well, perhaps 3 days, max. The kids loved them.

Next on the list was something a tad larger, maybe with fur this time. Gerbils. Little creatures they could play with, and pet and feed and ... smell.

That went well for a while until the little buggers found a way unbeknownst to me, to open the latch on the cage. Hours and sometimes days were spent trying locate two rodents the size of a large walnut in a 2800 sq. ft. house. No one would dare vacuum until our mission was accomplished.

Sometimes we'd find them in the closet eating away blankets, clothes or paper. Other times it was as easy as watching the comforter move on its own. Little furry lumps under the covers that left us little brown gifts. Eeewwww.

After the rodents died, we graduated to a dog. Brandy was a beautiful Golden Retriever pup. We had Brandy a while, long enough for me to learn that you DON'T buy a dog for your kids, you buy a dog for yourself. Kids are full of promises that are quickly forgotten. A friend of mine took Brandy up north where he lived on a large property with lots of running room for her and stream in the back yard. She was never happier.

Now for Fur Face.

After rants and promises of my own, a few "when pigs fly" and a couple "God should strike me dead's" I threatened the kids within an inch of their lives never to bring another living creature into the house.

**years pass**

Daughter #1 - 20 yrs old decides to bring home a kitten. Enter Fur Face .. aka Coco.

Shes a beaut.. but every ounce of her is trouble. It's funny really, how much personality a cat can have. Shes stubborn and spiteful. Imagine that ? You can't help but love her, but she rules the roost and she knows it.

I figured by writing about it, I might decide to find it all charming.
Whew! I feel better already.


No comments:

Post a Comment